Fans of Guild Wars can rejoice.
Today Mike O’Brien of ArenaNet announced the official release date of the Guild Wars sequel, Guild Wars 2, after a few rounds of beta and stress tests. So starting on August 28, 2012, all you guildies can hit that power button and join in on the glory (no, the word guildies does not have to stay in the WoW gaming community only).
O’Brien said that today was an “incredibly momentous day” and that “we’re on the cusp of a new era in online roleplaying games, and we’re glad you’re on this journey with us.”
Unofficial Guild Wars 2 concept art by Kekai Kotaki
For those who want to try to get on the game last-minute for its official release, the final beta testing will be held from July 20-22. Other things you can do before the release date to satiate your cravings for all things Guild Wars 2:
1. Pre-order. You get an in-game item, beta access (presumably for this last testing now), and a 3-day head start so you can mock all your friends who didn’t pre-order.
2. Watch this new trailer:
3. If you haven’t already, read the development team’s manifesto released in 2010.
4. Follow @GuildWars2 on Twitter and use any of these three hashtags to share the MMO love: #GW2, #GW2iscoming, and #GuildWars2.
5. There are some cool things to check out on the official website, www.guildwars2.com. You can view fancy concept art, download a snazzy wallpaper, and buy an adorable Charr plush! Yes, I’m done with the adjectives now.
6. Finally, there are probably thousands of forums you can join to discuss the game with fellow fans, like www.guildwarsguru.com. Just choose your favorite one and start freaking out via the keyboard.
7. Finally-finally (for real), you can leave a comment below and let us know what you think about Guild Wars 2. Are you excited? Nervous? So giddy with delight…