There have been a number of great panels over the last few days down in San Diego, and it looks like the Kick-Ass 2 panel was no different, though it was said to be a little more R-rated than others. The panel featured director Jeff Wadlow, creators Mark Millar and John Romita Jr., Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Lindy Booth, Donald Faison, John Leguizamo, with a special video appearance from Chloe Moretz. The cast answered questions and joked with the audience while describing the filming of the sequel.
Oh, and they released a new extended Redband trailer that is definitely NSFW:
Yep. That looks fantastic, and looks to build on everything that was great about the first film.
As for the actual panel, Collider has a great recap that we will pick some cool moments from, but check out the link for more from the cast.
- When Taylor-Johnson came out he was visibly flustered by the enormous crowd. I believe this is his first appearance at Comic-Con.
- Johnson said when he first read Wadlow’s script it was a page-turner, full of laughter and emotion, and “it brought these characters to a whole new level.” He said it’s fully packed, as the film doesn’t leave any room for the characters to do more. Their arcs are full of great stuff.
- Mintz-Plasse loved the script as well, but he was scared to do something this intense and nerve-wracking with The Motherfucker.
- He described his costume as “a gimp outfit.”
- With regards to the film’s dark tone, Mintz-Plasse said they took out him killing a dog and raping someone, but almost everything else from the comic is still in the movie.
- Moretz said Mindy’s high school portion of the story was a big, interesting arc that Wadlow decided to put in the movie. Moretz’s character gives up being Hit Girl to lead a normal life, but realizes that she has to enact justice when she sees some troublesome things in high school. The arc touches on what teenagers are going through in real life. The character soon understands that Mindy and Hit-Girl are one and the same.
Lots more from the cast at the link, so be sure to check it out! We would write more about the Kick-Ass 2 panel, but instead we are going to check out that trailer again. Check out more SDCC coverage here!