With all the news swirling around Green Lantern lately, it’s no surprise that DC and Warner Bros. animation want to get all they can out of him now. What with the new movie coming out, and all the major comic events he’s been the center of the last couple of years, it brings us to yesterday’s release of Green Lantern: Emerald Knights. An animated collection of stories, much like Batman: Gotham Knight, which was released in 2008, just prior to The Dark Knight.
The early feedback on the DVD has been pretty positive, and the movie features Grizzly Bomb Favorite Nathan Fillion as the voice of Hal Jordan. It’s rated PG-13 and runs 84 minutes long. Here is the trailer…
In addition to Fillion, Emerald Knights has some other familiar
faces voices involved as well. First off we have Jason Isaacs (Batman: Under the Red Hood), who I deem to be a perfect choice for Sinestro. And while most people now probably think of him as Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies, to me he’ll always be ‘that dick from The Patriot‘. This is great for Sinestro, who is of course Hal’s nemesis.
In addition, also featured will be Kelly Hu (X2, Hawaii Five-O), Henry Rollins (Heat, Sons of Anarchy), and Rowdy Roddy Piper (They Live, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia). Rollins plays Kilowag, who is one of the most popular characters in the GL universe, while Pipper will be the villain Bolphunga, and Hu plays GL Laira.
The movie is now out on both DVD and Blu-Ray, and the Blu Ray gets you quite a bit more on it…
Available on the Blu-ray copy of Green Lantern: Emerald Knights:
- Why Green Lantern Matters: The Talent of Geoff Johns – The noted comic book author discusses the lore and longevity of the character.
- Filmmaker Commentary: With DC Comics Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns and Co-Publisher Dan DiDio.
- Green Lantern Virtual Comic
- From Comic Book to Screen: Abin Sur
- Beautiful… But Deadly – From Comic Book to Screen: Laira Omoto
- Only The Bravest: Tales of the Green Lantern Corps – In depth profile of the interconnected men, women and creatures of the corps.
- Sneak Peak: ‘Batman: Year One’ – Preview of DC Universe’s next animated original movie
- A Look at Recent DCU Release ‘All-Star Superman‘
- 2 Bonus Cartoons from DCU’s Bruce Timm