Is it a Bird? Is it a Plane? I don’t bloody know because I haven’t seen the damn teaser trailer. We will have to wait until Friday for that pleasure.
The first footage ever from Zack Snyder‘s Man of Steel premiered Saturday evening during the Warner Bros./Legendary panel in Hall H at Comic-Con International. It did not disappoint from what we hear. We have a full description below of the first teaser trailer (sadly we cannot get that until Friday) and panel video below. Oh, and we also have this new dark poster for Man Of Steel.
And here’s the full teaser trailer description, from Cinema Blend:
The footage begins with a shot from in front of the Kent home from grass-level and that shot is followed by Clark Kent (Henry Cavill) walking along the side of an icy road. We hear voice over from Jor-El (Russell Crowe) that asks a series of questions like, What if a child decides to become something more? What if a child aspires to something greater? We then see a school bus crash into a body of water and hear a woman’s voice saying, “My son was in the bus, he saw what Clark did” in almost an accusatory tone. As water rushes in we see Clark in the water trying to help. Another voice over begins, this one coming from Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner) who seems to be telling his son about who he really is. “People are afraid of what they don’t understand,” he says as we see a shot of a young Clark looking at what appears to be a space ship in a barn. “It’s not from this world, Clark, and neither are you.”
We then cut to what looks like the Fortress of Solitude where an older Clark looks to be handling one of the information crystals provided to him by Jor-El (his Kryptonian father) also seems to appear in front of him. “Answer my questions,” Clark said. “Where do I come from?” We hear Jor-El responds, “You have to decide what kind of man you want to be, Clark. Good or bad, it’s going to change the world.”
The rest of the footage is shown in flashes, with shots of Superman flying in the air, going supersonic as well as huge explosions in what looks like Metropolis (we also see a quick glimpse of The Daily Planet). There is only one quick shot of Zod (Michael Shannon), who appears to be wearing some kind of outer-space collar – and Lois Lane (Amy Adams – who runs towards the camera in a panic – but other shots include Superman shirtless and on fire, escaping from beneath a pile of skulls, being blasted through a bank and into a safe door (the origin of this still), and being arrested and taken down a hallway. The preview ends with Superman walking towards a group of armed-soldiers with his hands in the air, with voice-over saying, “My father believed that if the world found out who I really was they would reject and they would fear me. He was convinced the world wasn’t ready.
Isn’t it all just sounding beautiful? I still want to actually watch this trailer but Friday will come around quicker than you think. Here’s the full panel video from Hall H.
So finally I thought this was rather funny as someone put together a list of all the things we had learned from the teaser trailer and questions from the panel, so please enjoy and read below, courtesy of ComicBook.
- Superman Will Be Tougher – According to director Zack Snyder, Superman will be tougher in the Man of Steel. Of course, this comes as no surprise with the casting of Henry Cavill as Superman. In the past, Superman has always been portrayed as heroic, but he’s had more of a nice guy image rather than a tough guy image. Cavill brings the tough guy image to the role.
- Man Of Steel Filming Complete – This news doesn’t really come as any surprise, but it’s good to hear it officially from the director that Man of Steel filming is done, and the movie is now in post-production. With a number of recent movies having their release dates pushed back, it’s good to know that Man of Steel is own track to hit its June 14, 2013 release date.
- First Man Of Steel Trailer Before Dark Knight Rises – The Dark Knight Rises is also a Warner Bros. movie, so it makes sense that they would premiere the first full Man of Steel trailer in front of it. The Dark Knight Rises is likely to be one of the biggest blockbusters of this summer, so this is a great way for Warner Bros. to let a lot of people know that the Man of Steel is coming next summer.
- Superman In Trouble With The Law – In perhaps the most shocking scene from the preview footage, Superman appears wearing handcuffs, being led by a security force. As a super-powerful alien, could it be that local earth law enforcement has a problem with the Man of Steel? There is definitely a sense in the trailer that the world has turned against Superman. Of course, Superman could easily break out of handcuffs, but maybe he’s trying to be a good citizen and go peacefully.
- Man Of Steel Will Have A Much Darker Look Than Previous Films – Zack Snyder said the film is based on many different storylines from the comic books. Also, the look and feel of the Man of Steel will be much darker than previous Superman movies. It will have the look and feel of the type of films that Snyder usually does, but not with the exact feel as 300.
- Zod Is A Villain But Might Not Be The Main Villain – In the preview footage, there is a very quick flash of Zod, but Zack Snyder refused to admit that Zod will be the villain. About the villain, Synder teased, “Whoever he is he’ll be super-relatable.”
- Someone Else Knows Superman’s Identity – During the teaser trailer, it was revealed that there is at least one person outside the Kent family that knows that Clark has some sort of powers. Apparently, someone saw Clark when he saved a bus of kids as a child.
- Superman Has A Beard – Superman is typically portrayed as clean shaven in the comic books, but he was sporting a beard in a scene in the Man of Steel trailer. Maybe, he’s just copying Bruce Wayne’s bearded look from a scene in The Dark Knight Rises. What is it with DC Comics heroes growing beards in their movies?
Can’t wait for this trailer. Friday can’t come soon enough.