Based on James Ellroy’s noir classic novel and executive produced by Arnon Milchan, L.A. Confidential is heading to the small screen, which will be a tonally modern version of Ellroy’s source material and subsequent 1997 feature film from director Curtis Hanson.
Equanimity – The quality of be calm, even-tempered; composure.
The new trailer for the Ryan Gosling (Baby Goose!) and Russell Crowe noir/comedy/thriller The Nice Guys, which was written and directed by Shane Black, is here in all of its Red Band Glory!
It’s been over 30 years since we last had a great Superman movie (I’m looking at you Superman II) and now, with the impending return of General Zod, Warner Bros’ Man of Steel is hoping to break the slump created by the last 3 movies (Superman III, Superman IV: The Quest of Peace, and Superman Returns) and they have pictures popping up all over the place…
[tabgroup][tab title=” Gangster Squad “] Inspired by a true story from the 1940s and 50s, Gangster Squad is about the Los Angeles Police Department putting together a small squad of policemen tasked with the goal of keeping East Coast mobs out of their city’s streets.
The cast list is impressive, including the acting veteran Sean Penn and the recent favorites Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. With a setting and tone much like the video game L.A. Noir, we’re excited to see how this one turns out.
Director: Ruben Fleischer
Stars: Ryan Gosling, Josh Brolin, Emma Stone, Nick Nolte, and Sean Penn
Release Date: January 11, 2013
[/tab][tab title=” The Lone Ranger “]
Tonto and John Reid go back a long way… like to the 1940s. And now they’re making a comeback in Walt Disney’s version of their story with a new twist – Tonto is going to recount the American Old West adventures that made John Reid into the fighting-for-justice legend we all know him to be [SuperHeroHype].
With a winning combination of Gore Verbinski and Jerry Bruckheimer (they made the first three Pirates of the Caribbean films), we’re expecting lots of humorous adventures, entertaining fight sequences, and interesting lore. Also, Johnny Depp’s crow headpiece is pretty wicked.
Director: Gore Verbinski
Stars: Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, Tom Wilkinson, William Fichtner, Ruth Wilson, and Helena Bonham Carter
Release Date: July 3, 2013
[/tab][tab title=” Broken City”]
New York City’s mayor appears to have done well for the city since he was elected, but he has one personal problem: his wife is sleeping around. So the mayor hires an ex-cop to track down the man she’s cheating with. However, the situation escalates when the ex-cop finds out that there’s more to the mayor’s situation (and his political games) than he’s letting on.
Audiences will undoubtedly be tired of politics by the time this film comes out, but maybe Marky Mark’s ambition to take down a conniving politician will be just what some Americans want at that point.
Director: Allen Huges
Stars: Mark Wahlberg, Russell Crowe, and Catherine Zeta-Jones
Release Date: January 18, 2013
[/tab][tab title=”The Dark Knight Returns: Part 2″] After several years out of the spotlight, Bruce Wayne becomes Batman again, this time as a middle-aged man still ready to take on the new criminals that have arisen in Gotham City. But this time Batman’s being called a murderer, and a warrant is out for his arrest. Superman claims he must follow the law and find Batman, but will he?
The story is nothing new, as superheroes have been called vigilantes and murderers before, and there have been show-downs between Batman and Superman in the past, but judging from the trailer we’re guessing DC Comics isn’t going to drop the ball on this one, especially if Part One was any indication of how good the finale will be.
Director: Jay Oliva
Stars: Peter Weller, Michael McKean, Wade Williams, Ariel Winter, David Selby, and Gary Anthony Williams
Release Date: Winter 2013
[/tab] [tab title=”Movie 43″]
The most we can say about this movie is that it’s a comedy featuring a large, all-star cast that will be “intertwining different tales” [IMDb]. It was also going to be called Red Band at one point. If you’ve seen Love Actually or Valentine’s Day, it’s supposedly something like that, but with a far more adult approach, in all aspects of the word.
Director: PatrikForsberg, Peter Farrelly, Elizabeth Banks, Steven Brill, and several more…
Stars: Chloe Grace Moretz, Emma Stone, Hugh Jackman, Elizabeth Banks, Gerard Butler, Kristen Bell, Kate Winslet, Anna Faris, Richard Gere, Naomi Watts, Halle Berry, Jason Sudeikis, Chris Pratt, and many more…
Release Date: January 25, 2013
I’ve honestly run out of Dark Tower pictures from writing articles about how many times this damned is happening and then isn’t happening and then is happening again – 4/8/11, 5/6/11, 7/20/11 – but hey, there’s more casting news to report…. recasting that is. It would appear that ‘Maximus’ himself – Russell Crowe will be taking the place of Javier Bardem as the badass gunslinger and main character ‘Roland Deschain’. Of course this is all just speculation at this point.
Finally, we get the Man of Steel teaser trailer, and it’s surprisingly poetic for a big action film. The teaser trailers have been given with two versions – one with the narrator being Russell Crowe, who plays Superman’s Kryptonian father ‘Jor-El’. The other one featuring Kevin Costner, who plays ‘Jonathan Kent’. Both trailers will play at the The Dark Knight Rises showings at the cinema, not at the same time though. When I went to see The Dark Knight Rises it showed the Russell Crowe teaser, which I was happy about because its my favorite.
Russell Crowe Version
Kevin Costner Version
What did you think of the teaser? My thoughts are that it was very sweet and down to earth, it looked and felt like it was done similar to Gladiator in the style and realism to the scenes (might have just been Russell Crowe’s Voice over), but never the less very beautiful and touching for superman film trailer. Now they don’t really give you much to off in this trailer so you can’t really get much of a feel for what it’s going to be like. My view is that with Zack Snyder directing and Christopher Nolan producing, we will get a film that is going to be completely different in the way it feels and looks compared to any other ‘Superman’ film before it. Hopefully they can make a ‘Superman’ film that is more relatable to this era than the last.
Is it a Bird? Is it a Plane? I don’t bloody know because I haven’t seen the damn teaser trailer. We will have to wait until Friday for that pleasure.
The first footage ever from Zack Snyder‘s Man of Steel premiered Saturday evening during the Warner Bros./Legendary panel in Hall H at Comic-Con International. It did not disappoint from what we hear. We have a full description below of the first teaser trailer (sadly we cannot get that until Friday) and panel video below. Oh, and we also have this new dark poster for Man Of Steel.
And here’s the full teaser trailer description, from Cinema Blend:
The footage begins with a shot from in front of the Kent home from grass-level and that shot is followed by Clark Kent (Henry Cavill) walking along the side of an icy road. We hear voice over from Jor-El (Russell Crowe) that asks a series of questions like, What if a child decides to become something more? What if a child aspires to something greater? We then see a school bus crash into a body of water and hear a woman’s voice saying, “My son was in the bus, he saw what Clark did” in almost an accusatory tone. As water rushes in we see Clark in the water trying to help. Another voice over begins, this one coming from Jonathan Kent (Kevin Costner) who seems to be telling his son about who he really is. “People are afraid of what they don’t understand,” he says as we see a shot of a young Clark looking at what appears to be a space ship in a barn. “It’s not from this world, Clark, and neither are you.”
We then cut to what looks like the Fortress of Solitude where an older Clark looks to be handling one of the information crystals provided to him by Jor-El (his Kryptonian father) also seems to appear in front of him. “Answer my questions,” Clark said. “Where do I come from?” We hear Jor-El responds, “You have to decide what kind of man you want to be, Clark. Good or bad, it’s going to change the world.”
The rest of the footage is shown in flashes, with shots of Superman flying in the air, going supersonic as well as huge explosions in what looks like Metropolis (we also see a quick glimpse of The Daily Planet). There is only one quick shot of Zod (Michael Shannon), who appears to be wearing some kind of outer-space collar – and Lois Lane (Amy Adams – who runs towards the camera in a panic – but other shots include Superman shirtless and on fire, escaping from beneath a pile of skulls, being blasted through a bank and into a safe door (the origin of this still), and being arrested and taken down a hallway. The preview ends with Superman walking towards a group of armed-soldiers with his hands in the air, with voice-over saying, “My father believed that if the world found out who I really was they would reject and they would fear me. He was convinced the world wasn’t ready.
Isn’t it all just sounding beautiful? I still want to actually watch this trailer but Friday will come around quicker than you think. Here’s the full panel video from Hall H.
So finally I thought this was rather funny as someone put together a list of all the things we had learned from the teaser trailer and questions from the panel, so please enjoy and read below, courtesy of ComicBook.
- Superman Will Be Tougher – According to director Zack Snyder, Superman will be tougher in the Man of Steel. Of course, this comes as no surprise with the casting of Henry Cavill as Superman. In the past, Superman has always been portrayed as heroic, but he’s had more of a nice guy image rather than a tough guy image. Cavill brings the tough guy image to the role.
- Man Of Steel Filming Complete – This news doesn’t really come as any surprise, but it’s good to hear it officially from the director that Man of Steel filming is done, and the movie is now in post-production. With a number of recent movies having their release dates pushed back, it’s good to know that Man of Steel is own track to hit its June 14, 2013 release date.
- First Man Of Steel Trailer Before Dark Knight Rises – The Dark Knight Rises is also a Warner Bros. movie, so it makes sense that they would premiere the first full Man of Steel trailer in front of it. The Dark Knight Rises is likely to be one of the biggest blockbusters of this summer, so this is a great way for Warner Bros. to let a lot of people know that the Man of Steel is coming next summer.
- Superman In Trouble With The Law – In perhaps the most shocking scene from the preview footage, Superman appears wearing handcuffs, being led by a security force. As a super-powerful alien, could it be that local earth law enforcement has a problem with the Man of Steel? There is definitely a sense in the trailer that the world has turned against Superman. Of course, Superman could easily break out of handcuffs, but maybe he’s trying to be a good citizen and go peacefully.
- Man Of Steel Will Have A Much Darker Look Than Previous Films – Zack Snyder said the film is based on many different storylines from the comic books. Also, the look and feel of the Man of Steel will be much darker than previous Superman movies. It will have the look and feel of the type of films that Snyder usually does, but not with the exact feel as 300.
- Zod Is A Villain But Might Not Be The Main Villain – In the preview footage, there is a very quick flash of Zod, but Zack Snyder refused to admit that Zod will be the villain. About the villain, Synder teased, “Whoever he is he’ll be super-relatable.”
- Someone Else Knows Superman’s Identity – During the teaser trailer, it was revealed that there is at least one person outside the Kent family that knows that Clark has some sort of powers. Apparently, someone saw Clark when he saved a bus of kids as a child.
- Superman Has A Beard – Superman is typically portrayed as clean shaven in the comic books, but he was sporting a beard in a scene in the Man of Steel trailer. Maybe, he’s just copying Bruce Wayne’s bearded look from a scene in The Dark Knight Rises. What is it with DC Comics heroes growing beards in their movies?
Can’t wait for this trailer. Friday can’t come soon enough.