Man Is The Warmest Place To Hide
It is with this tag-line, and a truly inspired piece of poster art that John Carpenter introduced the alien horror epic that is The Thing back in 1982. Much like Labyrinth, this film failed to find its core audience during that initial theatrical run. Probably didn’t help it opened against Blade Runner, splitting the Sci-Fi crowd, and the fact that E.T. owned the box office for most of the year, winning the box office 16 of the first 26 weekends following its release. Still, The Thing has a strong cult following, and holds up well today with some amazing performances and stunning practical effects.
Scream Factory is a company which prides itself on releasing top quality horror movies, coupled with some incredible art work to boot. So now, for Scream Factory’s fourth anniversary, they are giving us a definitive blu-ray release of the Carpenter classic.
They announced this union on their Facebook page a few days ago.
We couldn’t let this special day go by without some exciting news that we hope will rock you to the core: John Carpenter’s classic THE THING will be getting a 2-disc Blu-ray Collector’s Edition treatment this Fall!
We are truly honored to have the chance to pay the ultimate respect for this popular and iconic film. Release date is planned for September. Stay tuned to this page within the next week for all the details including new artwork extras and more.
Lastly, we want to take this time on our anniversary to once again thank you guys for so much support over the last four rewarding years. It’s been an amazing ride and we look forward to more of the “rollercoaster” for more years to come. :)
Scream Factory has already put out some incredible DVD and Blu Ray releases (which Grizzly Bomb has covered before), so we were pretty excited about this news. Well, just moments ago, they announced the details of the release;
This Deluxe Limited Edition contains:
- The collector’s edition Blu-Ray with slipcover
- A limited edition 18″ x 24″ poster of the newly-designed art from artist Paul Shipper
- A second slipcover — made exclusively for this promotion — featuring newly-designed art from artist Nat Marsh
- A limited edition 18″ x 24″ poster of the newly-designed art from artist Nat Marsh
- Early shipping to arrive three weeks before the national street date
- NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive Supervised And Approved By Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
- NEW 4.1 Audio Mix Created From The Original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo Soundtrack
- NEW Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
- Audio Commentary By Director John Carpenter And Actor Kurt Russell
- NEW The Men Of Outpost 31 – Interviews With Keith David, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney And More…
- NEW Assembling And Assimilation – An Interview With Editor Todd Ramsay
- NEW Behind The Chameleon – Interviews With Visual Effects Artists Peter Kuran And Susan Turner, Special Make-up Effects Artist Rob Burman And Brian Wade And More…
- NEW Sounds From The Cold – Interviews With Supervising Sound Editor David Lewis Yewdall And Special Sound Effects Designer Alan Howarth
- NEW Between The Lines – An Interview With Novelization Author Alan Dean Foster
- John Carpenter’s The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – A Documentary On The Making Of THE THING Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, Special Effects Make-up Designer Rob Bottin, Matte Artist Albert Whitlock And More! (80 minutes – SD)
- Outtakes (5 minutes – SD)
- Vintage Featurettes From The Electronic Press Kit Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell And Rob Bottin (12 minutes – SD)
- Vintage Featurettes – The Making Of A Chilling Tale And The Making Of THE THING (1982 – 14 minutes – SD)
- Vintage Product Reel – Contains A Promotional Condensed Version Of The Film With Additional Footage Not In The Film (19 minutes – SD)
- Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Footage (2 minutes – SD)
- Annotated Production Archive – Production Art And Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (48 minutes – SD)
- Network TV Broadcast Version Of THE THING (92 minutes – SD)
- Teaser Trailer
- Theatrical Trailers (U.S. And German)
- TV Spots
- Radio Spots
- Still Gallery (Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Posters And Lobby Cards)
- And Still More To Be Added!
The pre-order is available now at $34.93. Street date is 9/20/16.
For more, fans of The Thing should stay right here because we have news on a short fan film that really celebrates the storytelling and effects of the original. There is also a look at the film itself and how it has become a cult classic to horror fans worldwide, and finally we look at the making of Harbinger Down, a film which wears its love of The Thing on its sleeve with pride.
We also have a look at how movies have been influenced by films of the past (Carpenter himself took inspiration from the movie The Thing From Another World), and check out Chainsaw Estate which has a great The Thing snow globe in their collection of horror collectibles.
Images: Universal, Shout Factory.