We took a look at the upcoming Smallville replacement Arrow, which focuses on Oliver Queen AKA Green Arrow. You can check out all the details and our first look at Stephen Amell as Ollie here. It wasn’t long after that Arrow moved from the pilot stage with a season order of episodes. And it wasn’t too long after that we got the first clip and the trailer. And by not long after I mean not long ago. As in it just happened. So…
Let’s just watch the first clip.
Not bad. Gamma Squad had a few statements of displeasure to share but I didn’t find it to be that bad:
- Sloppy editing in the first ten seconds? Check. If the stuntman whiffs a take, redo the take, guys. Don’t use a cutaway, and especially don’t use THAT cutaway.
- That just gets worse later in the clip? Check. And those tennis balls were dropped by who, God?
- Intentional or not, reference to “Batman Begins”? Check. (To be fair, it’s not like there are a lot of creative ways to shoot grinding metal.
- Moments showing off the hero’s abs and chest for the fangirls? Check. Really, he should be doing this in bicycle shorts; you can’t tell us this show won’t have lots of boobs, so we might as well have equal opportunity ogling. I guarantee you this guy’s Ninja Warrior climb will be a gif by the time you read this.
- Godawful voice-over acting and recording? Check. Use a pop screen and for God’s sake, tell him to at least try and not sound like he’s reading off the page.
- Even worse sound editing? Check. (Listen when he’s firing the arrows: it sounds like he’s whiffing every shot.)
Sure there were some problems, but this was a quick clip from the PILOT episode. I would expect more from the trailer and the actual episodes with some money behind them. Here’s a look at some of the characters from the upcoming series to further entice you for the trailer.
That’s Willa Holland as Thea Queen, David Ramsey as John Diggle, Ollie Q, Paul Blackthorne as Tommy Merlyn, and Katie Cassidy as Dinah Lance (AKA Black Canary). Alright, no more waiting. Here’s the trailer:
Not too shabby. Really. I actually mean that. It’s apparently not like Smallville, its as close to Batman on TV as we will probably ever get, and I just personally dig Green Arrow. Plus Katie Cassidy. She’s gorgeous. Plus the guy from The Dresden Files. Which is cool, I guess. Plus he totally killed that dude, which is a step in the right direction. I don’t want no namby-pamby Green Arrow. I want the opinionated hardass who isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty for what he believes in. Or revenge, apparently. That works too.
Basically, what I’m saying is that I will give it a shot (tee hee. Like shooting a bow… never mind). Which is actually a hell of a lot more than I give anything else that The CW airs. So… Its kind of already a success to me.
What do you think? Excited for the series? Disgusted by the attempt?Die hard fan of The CW and wish to argue about my thoughts on their horrible programming?
Sound off in the comments section below!