Remember how we were going to get the Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer during the October 28th Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode? Well someone decided to crash the party, and if you believe Marvel, it was Hydra.
— Marvel Entertainment (@Marvel) October 22, 2014
After seeing grainy versions pop up on the Internet, Marvel decided to just go with the flow and post the teaser trailer online. I’ll shut up so you can view it right now.
Remember when Phase 1 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe was all about the fun, the whimsy, the excitement of superheroes? Well that’s all gone to hell. The trailer shows Banner struggling through a winter forest, Thor drop his hammer, and even Cap’s shattered shield. This isn’t aiming for sunshine and rainbows. This is going to take our favorite heroes right to the brink, and the question is; Can they get past Ultron?
Ultron, voiced by James Spader, looks and sounds AWESOME. The look of him, seemingly rebuilt from a scrap Iron Man suit to confront the Avengers, reciting lines from Pinocchio’s “I’ve Got No Strings”, is super creepy and the delivery and tone that Spader provides makes me think that Marvel just solved their villain problem. We also see Nick Fury quickly, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch make their debut, a foreign city getting destroyed and that infamous Hulkbuster armor. There’s a lot to process so here’s some quick thoughts:
- Holy crap.
- The movie will live or die on Spader’s take on Ultron. Our way too early analysis? He’s going to make it work.
- Tony Stark getting choked by Thor probably confirms he’s behind this mess.
- That quote of, “It’s the end. The end of the path I started us on,” doesn’t breed optimism.
- Hulkbuster armor versus the Hulk is going to be awesome.
- Oh look, Hawkeye is there. Hopefully he’ll have something constructive to do.
- That image of the broken shield of Cap is embedded in my head.
- Elizabeth Olsen looks goooooooood. We’ll see how this Quicksilver compares to the X-Men: Days of Future Past version.
- The idea of control and strings plays prominently into this trailer. There’s always someone in control and whether it’s the heroes holding the power and Ultron providing balance to bring them down, it’s something to watch. *coughs*Civilwar*coughs*.
- Black Widow looks concerned a lot in this. The Hulk hands getting close to her face was a cool moment too. Because maybe whatever her relationship with Banner will play into that further.
- Holy crap.
But yeah, that’s just initial thoughts so please, comment here or on our Facebook page and let us know good, bad or whether you’re in line at the theater already waiting for May 2015 to roll around.
Images: Marvel Studios